This nice light appetizer is a great start to any meal. For the following dish you will need:
- 1 cup of snow pea sprouts
- 500gm vegetarian meat fillet
- 270 gm packet rice paper sheets
- ½ Chinese white radish (peeled and cut in to 8cm *1cm strips)
- 200gm packet green tea noodles (boiled and strained with cold water)
- 2 carrots (peeled and cut into 8cm *1cm strips)
- Ponzu sauce
- 4 tablespoons of sweet soy (thick)
- 4 tablespoons of mirin (sweet rice wine)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees (10 minutes) then roast the vegetarian meat for 5-10 minutes depending on its thickness. Remove from oven and cut to check that it is warm inside. Allow to cool.
Arrange a bowl of lukewarm water, a damp tea towel the rice paper sheets, strips of radish, cut strips of pork, strips of carrot, snow pea sprouts and the noodles.
Place into the water one sheet of rice paper, when soft place on the tea towel, add all ingredients horizontal in the centre of the circle, ending with the noodles.
Fold the left side over the fillings and using the bottom of the circle roll it all up. Repeat this until fillings are exhausted.
To make the dipping sauce, combine all ingredients, and stir together.
This sprouts recipe takes about 20 minutes to make and serves 4 people. For this sprouts recipe you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 cup of bean sprouts
- 500gm thick Asian egg noodles (boiled and strained with cold water)
- 800gm of mock chicken(diced)
- 100gm snow peas (top and tailed)
- 8 spears fresh baby corn or tinned (halved lengthways)
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 onion (sliced finely)
- 1 clove of garlic (crushed)
- 1 2cm knob ginger (crushed)
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable or peanut oil
You will need to boil and strain your egg noodles first and put them aside. Then in a large wok heat the oil until smoking and add the garlic, onion, ginger and the mock chicken. Toss the wok often. After two minutes, add the other vegetables, noodles and then soy sauce. Continue tossing, adding warm water, to keep the mixture wet. Then serve.
The prepartion time for this sprouts recipe is 10 minutes and serves 4 people. The recipe in the image above also has anchovies as an option, but we don’t like meat so we took it out. 😉 For this sprouts recipe you will need:
- 1 cup of Sunflower Sprouts
- 1 jar of roasted capsicum strips (drained)
- 2 punnets of cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes
- Half a crusty baguette
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 cup of parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup of basil leaves
- 1 cup of rocket leaves
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Firstly roughly chop the bread in to 3cm square pieces. Place these in a bowl and sprinkle over all the vinegar and half the olive oil. Toss the bread around and set aside. In a separate bowl combine all other ingredients and mix well. Now add the bread pieces and again mix well. Drizzle over your salad the remaining olive oil and add cracked salt and pepper to taste and serve. An incredibly flavourful sprouts recipe that you serve for lunch or have for dinner!
This is an extremely tasty and popular dish in Chinese restaurants. The above image is a sprouts recipe made with pork, but our version is parasite and vegan friendly. 😉 To make The Vegan Lettuce and Vegetarian Meat Bowl with Sprouts Recipe you will need:
- About 1/2 cup of sprouts, your choice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 750g vegetarian meat (make sure it’s minced)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 150gms snow peas
- 1 teaspoon sambal oelek
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 medium red capsicum, chopped finely
- 1 trimmed celery stalk, chopped finely
- 1 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 8 large iceberg lettuce leaves
- 1 red onion, sliced thinly
Heat the oil in wok, stir-fry the vegetarian meat and garlic for about 3-5 minutes and strain off the excess cooking juices. Add in snow peas, sambal, juice, capsicum, celery, red onion, sauce and vinegar, stir-fry until vegetables are just tender, in the last 30 seconds add half the packet of snow pea shoots and cook until they wilt. Divide the vegetarian meat mixture among the lettuce leaves and garnish with remaining shoots. Enjoy! 😉
Green Smoothie Delight
- 2 cups of water
- 1 banana (fresh or frozen)
- 1 pear or apple
- 1 handful of sunflower sprouts
- 1 handful of pea sprouts
- Add fresh mint if desired
Blend all the sprout smoothie ingredients until smooth and enjoy. Adjust the water for preferred consistency. Also try doubling the recipe – pour some in your travel mug and enjoy your smoothie when you need an energy boost throughout the day.
The Instant Sprout Salad
1 handful of Sunflower Sprouts
1 handful of Pea Green Sprouts
1/2 cup of Garlic Sprouts (for kick)
1 cup of Alfalfa Sprouts
1 cup of Broccoli Sprouts
Add chopped tomatoes, red pepper, avocado, quiona, sesame seeds and whatever else you are craving!
Put all your ingredients in a large bowl and mix it with your hands. Top with your favourite salad dressing. But any leftovers in a ziplock bag and make sure you have as little air in the bag as possible to help the sprouts last.
Raw Sunflower Sprout Rice
We hope you enjoy these two sprouts recipes we have compiled for today, the first one is Raw Sunflower Sprout Rice and the second dish is a Raw Sunflower Sprout Collard Green Wrap.
The first time I heard about raw fried rice was was from Chef and Dr. David Jubb in the movie Raw for Life – The Ultimate Encyclopedia of the Raw Food Lifestyle. Amazing movie, we highly encourage you to watch it. It is one of the best raw food movies out there and we’ve seen almost all of them.
This is his recipe from the movie modified slightly.
- organic cauliflower
- jicama root (water rich)
- one small red onion
- olive oil
- lemon juice from half an organic lemon
- a cup of sunflower sprouts
- one large tomato
- one large avocado
- sun dried sea salt
Cut the cauliflower and jimaca down and put it them into the food processor separately. Don’t process them too much, especially the jimaca root, to let it have a nice crispness. It should be fluffy and light. Place the cauliflower and jicama root “rice” into a large mixing bowl and top it off with lemon juice. You can also chop off some of the lemon peel into little pieces for zest. Chop up one small red onion and the tomato and place it into the bowl. Next chop the parsley into small bits and place into the bowl. Add in the cup of sunflower sprouts. Drizzle everything with olive oil and add a dash of sea salt to taste. Finish off the recipe by adding sliced avocado and voila! You’re done.
Raw Sunflower Sprout Collard Green Wrap
Our second of the sprouts recipes is also from Raw for Life – The Ultimate Encyclopedia of the Raw Food Lifestyle. It is by Chef Rod Rotondi who owns Leaf Cuisine in California. It’s super easy and you can add whatever you want. We suggest trying this with mangoes for the summertime and trying different variety of sprouts.
- collard green leaves
- mixed greens
- olive oil
- red bell peppers
- sunflower sprouts
- black tahini
- red onion
- sea salt to taste
Chop and mix everything except for the collard green leaves into a large mixing bowl. Lay out your collard green leaf and use your knife to cut off the spine. Use your hands to portion the filling as you see fit and wrap it as you would a burrito. You can cut it in half and serve it with a smoothie for breakfast, lunch or dinner. It’s that easy! Try it out today!
Kale is so good for you; it’s extremely high in chlorophyll and so fun to eat with it’s rippled edges. So what better combination is there than kale and sprouts? This sprouts recipe is a must try for those of you who love a good textured salad with a creamy dressing. You can make this sprouts recipe extremely messy, it doesn’t matter – it will still taste good!
- Bunch of organic kale
- One ripe organic avocado
- A cup of sprouts of choice
- One ripe juicy organic tomato
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Dash of dulse seaweed
- Half a lemon and half a lime
You can also add whatever is left over in your fridge like red, yellow or orange bell peppers, shredded carrots, and sprouted nuts. Some people like to add a dash of cayenne for a little kick, I like to replace cayenne with a spicy sprout like clover, onion, garlic or radish. Try it out, you will love it!
To make this sprouts recipe. Thoroughly wash all your vegetables, especially the kale, then rip the kale into bite sized pieces and place into a giant mixing bowl. Chop your avocado in half, pop out the seed with a spoon and spoon out the meat into the mixing bowl. Chop your tomatoes into tiny salsa sized chunks and also throw into the mixing bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of dulse seaweed or more, and toss in the sprouts into the mixing bowl as well. Don’t forget to toss in the juice from the lime and the lemon now. It will prevent your avocado from going bad.
Here comes the fun part. Massage the avocado and into the kale and really get everything together. Add in sea salt and pepper to taste and let it sit in the fridge for about 30 minutes to an hour and then serve.
Tip: Make sure you cover your salad with lid when you place it in the fridge to prevent other smells from contaminating your sprouts salad!
Alfalfa Sprouts Recipe #1 – Cream Cheese, Raisins and Alfalfa Sprouts Sandwiches
You will need the following ingredients for this amazing alfalfa sprouts recipe.
• 1 pkg (250 g/1/2 lb) cream cheese, softened
• 75 ml (1/3 cup) dried currants
• 15 ml (1 tablespoon) fresh chives, finely chopped
• 5 ml (1 teaspoon) fresh tarragon, finely chopped
• 8 x large slices whole-wheat sandwich bread
• 180 ml (3/4 cup) alfalfa sprouts
• butter, softened
1. In a bowl, beat the cream cheese with an electric mixer. Add the raisins and herbs. Season with pepper. Spread the cream cheese mixture on half the slices of whole-wheat bread. Top with the alfalfa sprouts and cover each with the other slices of buttered whole wheat bread. Press the sandwiches gently together.
2. Using a bread knife, trim the crusts off the sandwiches and cut them into triangles, rectangles or squares. Garnish with cherry tomatoes on the side or with pea sprouts.
Alfalfa Sprouts Recipe #2 – Spinach Salad with Alfalfa Sprouts and Feta Cheese
• 1 lb. spinach cleaned and dried (454g)
• 1/2 cup alfalfa sprouts (125ml)
• 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (125ml)
• 1 x royal gala apple sliced into matchsticks
• 1/2 cup low-fat yogurt (125ml)
• 2 tsp minced fresh garlic (10ml)
• 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley (125ml)
• 3 tbsp light mayonnaise (45ml)
• 2 tsp Dijon mustard (10ml)
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil (60ml)
• Juice of 1 orange
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 3 tbsp sunflower seeds to garnish (45ml)
1. In a medium sized bowl whisk all dressing ingredients together starting with the yogurt.
2. Cover and let stand in the refrigerator for 1 – 2 hours to allow the flavour to develop.
1. In a large bowl toss the spinach together with dressing. Add the remaining ingredients and top with sunflower seeds. Serve immediately.